Thursday, February 9, 2012

Independent Component 1

Log of 30 (or more) hours of work:

Evidence:
Due to on-going technical errors with the printer in Strand's room, I was unable to get the final printouts of the first and second deadlines. I was, however, able to dig up some of the drafts. First and second deadline is 100% complete, though! I didn't think of the idea of taking screenshots instead since I was panicing about the printer. Also, the whole "yearbook needs to be kept secret" idea kind of applies too... But here it is! 


Cover
Front Endsheet
Back Endsheet
Division #1
Model Assembly
Senior Projects

Frist Page of Senior Section

The rest of the drafts of first and second deadline

Literal:
(a) I, William Lam, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
(b) I worked on designing our school's yearbook. This includes, but is not limited to, designing templates, laying out spreads, Photoshopping photos, touching up photos, cutting out photos, headline packaging and other typography, teaching the staffers how to design, inputting photos, writing captions, putting together mods, taking photos, and gathering "inspiration" from other designers. In all, this includes about 48 spreads, or 96 pages worth of content completed (halfway done!).

Interpretive:
I say my entire component has significance because I'm constantly doing hands-on work and practicing my design skills. I have applied many of the techniques I have researched, such as designing for your audience and different ways of organizing information, to my work in yearbook. My component is direct application of my entire senior project in terms of design techniques as well as learning how to operate the programs needed to become a successful designer. I stay after school almost everyday from 1 to 5 working on spreads. It demonstrates (more than) 30 hours of work because designing requires strict attention to details, which means multiple hours of working on the same thing. Overall, my labor in the independent component is significant because I apply what I learn from research every time I'm on the computer working.

Applied: 
The independent component helped me answer my EQ because it allowed me to gain hands-on experience on designing for a specific audience I.E. iPoly student body. The theme of the book required deep digging in order to successfully connect with the student body in order to have a chance at an impacting design. Without that and without an audience, my work would be insignificant because I would then be simply designing for myself, which goes against the purpose of a graphic designer. My third interview, graphic designer Sylvia Ly stated that graphic designers are like messengers; they mold a message according to the preference of the receiver in order for the message to be well understood. My independent component, working on yearbook, allows me to do just that. My designing is not according to how I want things to look like; rather, how my target audience prefers things to look like (through utilizing trends that are popular among current high school yearbooks.) Through my independent component, I was able to see that the first key to impacting an audience is to know your audience thoroughly in terms of history, taste, attitude, idealisms, culture, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment