Monday, October 17, 2011

Independent Component 1 Plan Approval

I plan on applying my graphic design techniques to the place where I first acquired them– yearbook. Since I'm design editor, I get a heavy load of designing and conceptualizing the spreads. Currently, because it is the beginning of the year, my main responsibility is to design the theme-centralized spreads (including cover, endsheets, division pages, senior section) and the coverage/content spreads (academics, student life). What I design this deadline will determine what the entire book will look like, so I feel that this part especially fits my senior project well because this will be where I apply the "creating things stemmed from an idea" aspect.

I plan on meeting the required 30 hours by working in elective on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the designs. I will also work after schools whenever possible (most likely everyday) since the workload and deadline will call for that. I usually stay after school designing from 1:30 until 5:30. Again, because of my job, I'm mainly on the computer designing so sidetracking or additional duties are not an issue. In order to present evidence of this work, I'll be keeping a log every day I'm working as well as keeping each and every draft, which I will print out at the end of each work day. (Because we start yearbook in August, I have not had the chance to save the preliminary drafts for some, but I will for the new ones that will materialize throughout this deadline.)

This study will relate to my EQ because at this stage of the yearbook, my entire goal for the designs is to make an impact on the readers (students, you, etc.) who will eventually receive this book in May/June. The entire point of yearbook design is to draw the reader in to reading the copy and admiring the photography, and the first step in order to do that is to make a strong first impression. Yearbook design is simply an extension of graphic design because of this, and this will help my discover more answers because I'm getting first hand experience through trial-and-error.

No comments:

Post a Comment